Monday, April 17, 2023

Homecoming - Kate Morton

I’m a big fan of Kate Morton’s writing. I’ve been eagerly awaiting her newest book Homecoming. It’s another fabulous book from a gifted author. Before you turn that first page, stop and look at the cover. Isn’t it just gorgeous? 

Morton tells her story in a now and then narrative, which is one of my favorite ways to tell a story. The opening chapter of Homecoming starts with a crime on Christmas Eve in 1959. We then flip to 2018. Nora is the commonality between the past and present. She was there, in the small town of Tambilla, South Australia, when the unsolved crime was committed. In 2018 her granddaughter Jess returns to Sydney as Nora is not well. She’s staying in Nora’s home and comes across a true crime book detailing the Turner Tragedy of 1959. Jess has never heard her grandmother speak of it – until now.

Morton's writing is so rich and atmospheric, with a bit of a gothic feel. Two houses are an integral part of the book. One beloved and one with a horrible history, and I could easily picture them.

The characters are so wonderfully drawn - both leading characters and supporting characters. It’s not just their actions. It’s their mindsets, the questioning of what’s going on, and the reasons behind those actions. Nora, in particular, was an especially intricate character. My thoughts and feelings about her changed as the book progressed. I liked Jess as well, but again, my feelings for her changed number of times as well. And there is more than one character who had me close to tears. 

The story builds slowly and deliciously, with layer upon layer peeled away, as secrets are revealed over the course of 560 pages. (And I loved every last page). 

The crime itself? I was so sure that I had figured out whodunit long before the final pages. I had figured out a little bit of the why, but was happily proven wrong by the final reveal. I truly didn’t see it coming.

Morton’s writing is very easy to get lost in and should be savored. Such as this thought one of the characters has...

"This was the magic of books, the curious alchemy hat allowed a human mind to turn black ink on white pages into a whole other world." 

I think that's an apt description of any and all of Kate Morton's books. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Homecoming. An easy five stars for this reader. 

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I recently bought the audiobook version, and I hope to get to it soon. I'm another Kate Morton fan. :-)

Luanne said...

Cathy I have listened to a couple of her books on audio as well. I am sure it will be a wonderful listen!