Friday, April 14, 2023

Dark Angel - John Sandford

Dark Angel is John Sandford's latest novel and is the second tale in the new Letty Davenport series. 

I’m a longtime fan of John Sandford’s writing and have read everything he’s written. Letty Davenport was introduced quite a few books back. I wasn’t sure about her in the beginning but she’s grown on me, and I’m happy to see that she is going to be permanent with her own series.

Letty proved herself with her last assignment for Homeland Security, and they think she’s the perfect fit for a new undercover assignment. It starts with infiltrating the shady world of hackers, ransomware but travels to other unforeseen places and people. And along the way, Letty wonders about the response she’s getting from the government folks. She feels like they’re lying to her and her partners…

Letty really is a chip off the old block. You can recognize many of Lucas‘s personality traits, and thinking in Letty’s actions, behaviour, and dialogue. 

The action starts in the first page and it really never stops until you hit the end pages. It would make a great action film.

The dialogue is quick, snappy, and sharp. But it’s also humorous in a dark fashion, quite like Lucas and Virgil. Every lead character needs a side kick in that’s found in two characters. In this book one is Baxter, who is going undercover with Letty. And the other is Cartwright, an agent in an unnamed alphabet government agency. I think we’ll be seeing her in the next book.

The plotting of Dark Angel is intricate, detailed and brings many newspaper headlines to mind. Keeping everything straight in this plot will take a little bit of effort. And I admit, I did have a bit of trouble with keeping up with who’s who and what their connection is, etc. But that's on me.

Overall, another great book from Sandford. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Dark Angel.

5 comments:

Harvee said...

I wrote about Uncaged: The Singular Menace as a book to introduce the YA readers to his genre. I seemed to like the book.

https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

I haven't read much of Sandford, but when I saw info for this book, I was curious about it. I'm going to look for the first book in Letty's series and give it a try.

Luanne said...

He's a good crime author Cathy will intricate plots. I really like the Lucas Davenport titles the best...with Virgil Flowers being a close second. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts Cathy.

Ethan said...

I've read and loved the Virgil Flowers series, and I'm slowly making my way through Davenport. I'm intrigued by this series too, so adding it to my list!

Luanne said...

I love the snappy dialogue in the Flower books Ethan. The Davenport books are so well written. And yes, it's nice to have another series after all that!