Friday, November 11, 2022

A Sliver of Darkness: Stories - C. J. Tudor

I'm a big fan of C.J. Tudor's writing. She's got a vivid (and darkly creative) imagination that has hooked me with every book she's written. I was thrilled to see that her latest, A Sliver of Darkness, is a collection of short stories. 

I like the portability of short stories, the ability to pick out a tale, and have a satisfying start to finish experience. But, with A Sliver of Darkness, I couldn't just read one....I binge read all eleven tales in a day. They're all so so very different and I just had to see what the next one would be about.

Tudor writes a detailed description of how each story came to be, what triggered the idea. I really liked knowing the 'why/how/what behind every story. It's fulfilling for readers like me that wonders where an author finds or imagines their idea for a book or a tale. Some of them are innocuous comments, a memory from years gone by, a location or a personal event. 

Did I have a favorite? Besides all of them? The first one, End of the Liner was apropos - what would happen if a cruise ship escaped the plague by not ever docking? Or being dared to go inside that abandoned building. How about graffiti art - that's just a tad too good? A name that just pops up in your brain - right Ted? Or a reprise visit from a character that briefly appeared in one of Tudor's past books. Anyone else remember Gloria from The Hiding Place? How about a beautiful butterfly sanctuary on an isolated island that ends up being much different than a group of people imagined - or hoped? Tudor has hinted that this last tale might be fleshed out in the future. I hope so! 

An easy five stars for A Sliver of Darkness. See for yourself - read an excerpt of A Sliver of Darkness. 

Wanting more from C.J. Tudor? Me too! Can't wait for her new book - The Drift - coming out January 31/23.

4 comments:

Ethan said...

I really enjoyed this one too, though I definitely liked some stories more than others. Either way, it was a nice thing to hold me over until I read the Drift. I have a few more ARC's to get through before I can give myself permission to dive into that one!

Luanne said...

Oh lucky you Ethan! I'm hoping to get approved on Netgalle!

Harvee said...

I tend not to read short stories but I really should. Glad you liked these stories.

Luanne said...

Harvee I think I really liked the short stories as I have really enjoyed her books. I kindo f knew what to expect.