Friday, May 22, 2020

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #314

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
But you can like one cover version better than another...

US cover
UK cover
Rachel Joyce is one of my favourite authors. I've read and loved each and every one of her books. She makes you feel and think long after the last page has turned. Her latest book, Miss Benson's Beetle comes out in July across the pond and not until November in North America. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. Okay, let's start...Gold is featured on both covers, but I find it more effective against the green of the UK cover - it 'pops' a bit more. Beetles are on both covers - a single large one on the US cover, but lots of winged beasties on the UK cover. I do like the stylized US one. The UK beetles seem to flying in a vortex that almost seems sci-fi. The book is set in the fifties and the US seems to speak more to that time frame. The US cover has a magnifying glass, net, two women with suitcases and a boat. All of that gives the potential reader what they find inside - and is true to the plot. The UK cover really only says bugs in a forest. 
So, for me this week - the US cover. What about you? 
Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read Miss Benson's Beetle?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

6 comments:

Mystica said...

The US cover is more appealing for me.

bermudaonion said...

I like the color of the US cover but I don't think either one is great.

Luanne said...

So far.....US

Kay said...

Yes, I think US cover for me as well, though I don't love it that much. The UK cover does seem a little sci-fi-ish. Hope you enjoy the book, Luanne!

holdenj said...

I kind of like the US cover. Will look forward to reading this.

Luanne said...

Holdenj's US vote makes it unanimous!