Friday, May 8, 2020

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #312

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
But you can like one cover version better than another...

US cover
UK cover
I'm a fan of Michael Robotham's writing and have really enjoyed his Joseph O'Loughlin mysteries. Last year he introduced a new character - Cyrus Haven - a forensic psychologist. I enjoyed the first book and this second book, When She Was Bad, releases in July on both sides of the pond. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. Okay, let's get started with the US cover. It employs one of my favorite cover images - a woman's blurred face. Nah, I'm kidding - I am overtired of woman's face, she looks scared images. The font is a good choice though. The UK cover matches the style of previous releases. I think it's clean and the author and the title are prominent. What's in the background is tantalizing and I had to take a closer look. Large old isolated. spooky looking house with a single light on in an attic room, birds (maybe ravens?) flying about, an ominous shadow. And I think that might be a dog in the upper right. All books with dogs in them are good, right? Easy choice for me this week - UK cover. What about you? 
Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read When She Was Good?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. 

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not crazy about either cover but, like you, I'm tired of part of a woman's face for the cover, so I prefer the UK cover.

Ethan said...

Definitely the UK cover wins. I wouldn't have even known the US book was by Michael Robatham on first glance. It doesn't look like is usual books.

Luanne said...

UK taking the lead this week.

Yup Bermudaonion - the woman's face on a cover trend needs to go away.

Ethan I agree, the styling of the UK covers is much better.

Kay said...

I love this author's Joe books. Have not read the new character yet, but I definitely vote for the UK cover. As you say, it matches others by the author.

Luanne said...

Kay, I really like Joe and was surprised to see a new character. I like, but don't love him as much as Joe yet. But I do like Robotham's writing, so wouldn't miss this.

Icewineanne said...

Love the manor house with the cobblestone drive & ravens (?) flying about. My only quibble is that the print takes 3/4 of the cover. Less print more of the drawing! The US cover is ghastly, not even in the running this week....IMHO

Luanne said...

Icewinneanne has weighed in with another vote for the UK cover. So a clean sweep this week!
Ghastly - I love it!

Icewineanne said...

.....the wart on the woman’s nose is truly the icing on the cake LOL