Thursday, March 26, 2020

Maker March with DK Canada


It's Maker March with DK Canada! If you're like me, I find myself gravitating towards books and my craft stash during this time of self isolation and social distancing. Books and creativity - what better to try and escape for a wee bit. DK Canada has some great ideas for Maker March - and beyond.

What one caught my eye? Knit Step By Step: Techniques, Stitches, and Patterns Made Easy by Vikki Haffenden and Frederica Patmore. I'm determined to master more than just the basics in knitting.

Knit Step by Step will take you from those basics - Tools and Materials to Techniques, to Projects and finally Stitch Patterns.

What I really, really like about DK books are the full colour pictures that accompany the information. And in this case, it's the actual items that would be employed in knitting. The information is laid out in a clean, attractive way that lets you read one piece at a time.

Very detailed, close up, well contrasted images are used to showcase the various stitches. These are really easy to follow. And then we arrive at the place I've never gotten past - harder stitches and patterns.....The key is not to panic! Just pick one to try and give it a go. That's what I'm doing - Fair Isle patterns are still aways off for me. But when I am ready, Knit by Knit has great, detailed info just waiting to be explored. Hint - make sure you check out the stitch pattern glossary at the back - this is where I picked the stitches I wanted to try.

And there are some projects included - there's a nice (easy!) baby blanket I'm going to make.

Knit Step by Step is a great resource for new and experienced knitters. Another great book from DK!


No comments: