Saturday, September 8, 2018

Half Moon Bay - Alice LaPlante

I've really enjoyed Alice LaPlante's previous two books and was eager to read her latest - Half Moon Bay.

Jane is very emotionally wounded. She has moved to the small town of Half Moon Bay from San Francisco. She has found work at a nursery, but avoids people as much as possible. When young children start to go missing in Half Moon Bay, she becomes a suspect. You see, her own daughter died in San Francisco.

I chose to listen to Half Moon Bay. The reader was Gabra Zackman. She did an excellent job capturing Jane's confusion, fogginess and grief with her interpretation of LaPlante's character. Her voice is measured, easy to understand and well modulated. Zackman has a nice gravelly tone to her voice that makes it quite pleasant to listen to. Listen to an excerpt of Half Moon Bay.

So great narrator, but for me the book was a miss. A wounded, unreliable lead is a great addition to a mystery. But Jane's inner monologues go 'round and 'round to the point where I got quite bored of her angst. This rambling discourse had me tuning out. Jane's 'oddness' is reiterated over and over again, punctuated by two other workers at the nursery. Adam is just as odd, so of course the listener suspects him as well. Honestly, I could not buy Adam's attraction to Jane at all. And Jane's attraction and relationship with also newly transplanted to Half Moon Bay couple Edward and Alma. Sorry, big what the heck, ugh and really?  The final ending and 'whodunit'? Telegraphed well in advance. And the reason? Sorry, can't buy that either.

The cover is great and the descriptions of Jane's plants and the physical settings were well done. But overall? Sorry, I can't recommend this one at all.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry this was a stinker for you.

Luanne said...

Me too Bermudaonion - I've enjoyed her previous books.

Kay said...

It happens, Luanne. I've got all her previous books on my Kindle, but I haven't read any of them yet. Not sure why. I'll keep your thoughts in mind, though it is nice to hear that the audio was well done.