Thursday, November 10, 2016

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #131

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
Scottish author Val McDermid is one of my all time favourite crime writers. Her latest book is Out of Bounds - already released in the UK and set for December in North America. Hmm, another ominous picture of a woman on the US cover. I'm sure it's her ponytail on her shoulder, but it looks a bit odd to me. Red lettering, a strong font and that misty background seem to promise a good mystery. But I am more attracted to the subtler UK cover this week. It's not as overt as the US cover, but that open gate and broken lock work with the title and make me wonder what's beyond the gate. So, UK cover for me this week. Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read Out of Bounds? You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. 

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Definitely the UK cover for me.

Grandma Cootie said...

I'm with you preferring the UK cover. I don't know why there are so many covers with a woman on them but on me it has the effect of making me think it's another "Gone Girl" which I didn't really like so I would initially pass the book by (unless it's an author like Val Dermid who I already know and enjoy).

Marce said...

The UK cover hands down. Something about the US cover seems raced to me, execution of it not great.