Monday, July 16, 2012

I Suck at Girls - Justin Halpern

Justin Halpern....Isn't he the guy whose dad...? Yes, this is the second book from Justin Halpern, who shot to fame when he started a twitter account sharing his father's wisdom - sh*t my dad says. It snowballed -  a best selling book and a television show followed. And, yeah his dad is pretty funny.

The fun continues with I Suck at Girls as Halpern details his passage through the birds and bees, adolescence, dating and ultimately marriage. All of course with a good dose of fatherly advice.

I was glad I chose to listen to this latest offering in audio format. Sean Schemmel was the reader. He has a very expressive voice. His 'Justin' voice was perfect - by turns, innocent, incredulous and always with great inflection. The 'dad' voice was also great - gravelly with lots of ' are you getting this down' in the tone.

Honestly, Justin and his dad are truly funny. I found myself laughing out loud many times. (I often listen to audio books at night in bed - hubby can't stand the light. He did think I was going a bit loony breaking out into laughter in the dark!)

But along with the humour, there is a lot of truth in the situations Justin finds himself in. And although lots of Dad's comments are caustic, biting, and foul mouthed, he does come up with some good common sense advice.

Looking for a fun book for that summer car ride? Pop this one in the player. Listen to an excerpt of I Suck at Girls. Or read an excerpt. 

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I read this book and enjoyed it too. Justin's dad is crude but was usually spot on with his advice.

Vanessa said...

sounds like a good one! I haven't read the first book yet, though.

ChristasBooks said...

This book was hilarious! I read it on a bus trip with my mom and I burst out laughing so frequently she wanted to switch seats because she thought I was embarrassing.

Also I love that you listen to audiobooks at night so you don't have to keep the light on. What a great idea!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

my friend read this and said it was hilarious.

cman said...

It sounds hilarious.

Luanne said...

It really is hilarious everyone. I highly recommend it!

Howard (Ambling Audio Books) said...

FYI - My company happens to have the audiobook version of "I Suck at Girls" on sale right now:
http://amblingbooks.com/books/view/i_suck_at_girls

Adrian said...

Been meaning to read this...