Monday, September 5, 2016

Living Large In Our Little House - Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell

Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell has chronicled her housing downsize and in her blog Living Large in Our Little House.

She's taken that a step further in her new book Living Large in Our Little House: Thriving in 480 Square Feet with Six Dogs, a Husband, and One Remote--Plus More Stories of How You Can Too.

Kerri and her husband Dale downsized when financial straits moved them into a 480 sq. foot house in the Ozark mountains. Kerri and Dale discovered that less is truly more - less stuff equals financial security, more time for each other, for hobbies, for just enjoying each day, less maintenance work and so many more benefits.

Living Large is a comfortable read, with no pretensions. Reading the book is like having a conversation on the front porch with the author - homey and folksy.  We meet a younger Kerri as she shares her personal family story, and then details her and husband Dale's journey to smaller living. She writes with candor, detailing not just the upside, but the downside as well. Kerri has taken knowledge gained from their move and has included tips, recipes, checklists and advice for those considering a move to a smaller abode. Kerri also includes many personal photographs of her and Dale and her beloved pets.

Kerri reached out to others living in smaller and tiny homes and has also included their stories.

I've been fascinated with 'smaller' living, especially the tiny home movement. I often consider whether I could divest myself of my many 'things' and pursue a simpler way of life. Smaller living may not be for everyone, but I think there's much food for thought in Kerri's book. And I will still dream of my own little house. Kerri has also included a large list of resources and further reading for those considering their own change.  Read an excerpt of Living Large in Our Little House.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not sure a little house is for me but I think one would be perfect for my son.

Luanne said...

I have always been fascinated by little houses - trying to convince my husband to build me a little one.