Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Over the Counter #310

What books caught my eye this week as they passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Going to the dogs this week.....rescues and royals.....

First up is Rescue Road: One Man, Thirty Thousand Dogs, and a Million Miles on the Last Hope Highway by Peter Zheutlin.

From the publisher, Sourcebooks:

"How far would you go to save a life? This is the extraordinary story of one man who has driven more than 1 million miles to rescue thousands of dogs from hunger, abuse and neglect and give them a second chance at life and love.

For years, Greg Mahle struggled to keep the last of his family-run restaurants afloat in Ohio. When it finally closed, he was broke and unsure what to do next. Then a stranded van-load of puppies changed his life forever.

Join journalist Peter Zheutlin as he travels with Greg from Ohio to the Gulf Coast on his Rescue Road Trips to bring hard-luck dogs from the deep South to loving "forever families" up north looking to adopt a pet, with the help of many selfless volunteers along the way. From Houston's impoverished Fifth Ward--where thousands of strays roam the streets--and high-kill animal shelters in Louisiana, to joyous scenes of adopters embracing their new pups in the Northeast, Rescue Road is full of heart: an inspiring story about the unique bond between dogs and humans, and how going the extra mile can make a life-changing difference for these loyal canines-and for us all.

A heartwarming, awe-inspiring story of how one man can impact so many lives, human and puppy alike. Fans of Marley and Me, Oogy: The Dog Only A Family Could Love, and You Had Me At Woof will be inspired and touched by this story."

Next up is Pets by Royal Appointment: The Royal Family and their Animals by Brian Hoey.

From Robson Press:

"The Royals say they can do without many things, but not their animals. They are suspicious of practically everyone outside their own family, so the only creatures they really trust are not of the human variety. For countless monarchs and their consorts, cats, dogs, horses, even the occasional parrot, have acted as constant, faithful companions, unquestioning allies and surrogate children for generations. The only time The Queen and Princess Anne have been known to shed tears in public was when one of their favourite horses died. And Her Majesty’s corgis, the most disliked creatures at Court, even have their own ‘Royal’ cemeteries in all the Royal residences and each has its own ‘minipalace’ immediately outside their mistress’s sitting room in Buckingham Palace.

Members of the Royal Family, from The Queen to her youngest grandchild, are taught to ride almost as soon as they can walk and, even at the age of eighty-six, Her Majesty still rides every weekend at Windsor – and refuses to wear a hard hat. This engrossing book traces the fascination of the Royals with their animals with intimate details of each of the present and early members of the family’s favourite pets, with anecdotes relating to each of them and their idiosyncrasies. Pets by Royal Appointment makes essential reading for Royal watchers and pet lovers alike."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm mush when it comes to dogs, and especially when it comes to mistreated dogs. I recently rescued a puppy mill dog and love her so much. She's helping me heal from the loss of my dog Patches who I had for 18 yrs., and I'm helping her heal from being abused, starved, and neglected both physically and mentally. I told my son that if I could afford to, I'd buy 100 acres and turn it into a dog rescue.

This book is going on my tbr list, even though I know I'll need a ton of tissues.