Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Over the Counter # 52

Have your cake and eat it too? I'd love to try one of the cakes from the two books that caught my eye as they passed over my library counter and under my scanner this week.

First up was Gorgeous & Gruesome Cakes for Children by Debbie Brown.

From New Holland Publishers:

"Gorgeous and Gruesome Cakes for Children features 30 fun and original birthday cake designs suitable for both boys and girls alike. With designs by the UK's bestselling sugarcraft modelling author, all the cakes are tasty, easy to create and will be the star of the show at any child's birthday party.

The book begins with a comprehensive section on getting started with cake decorating, including useful advice on the basic tools and equipment needed. There are also delicious cake recipes, providing the all-essential base to the added decorations.

Gorgeous and Gruesome Cakes for Children features 30 fun and original birthday cake designs suitable for both boys and girls alike. With designs by the UK's bestselling sugarcraft modelling author, all the cakes are tasty, easy to create and will be the star of the show at any child's birthday party.  Girls will love the gorgeous Frog Prince and Cinderella's Glass Slipper cake, whilst boys will find the gooey Alien Egg or gruesome Swamp Monster simply irresistible!"


And how about some cake for adults as well? Next up is A World of Cake by Krystina Castella.
 
From Storey Publishing:
 
"Tour the world of cake! Cakes are at the center of life’s celebrations, big and small, in every corner of the globe. A bite-size lamington is a treat with tea in Australia. In Africa, golden fritters bursting with sweet fruit are popular street snacks. Honey cakes celebrate new beginnings in Jewish tradition, and peach buns are a symbol of longevity in Taiwan. Fruitcakes, from Germany’s stollen to Italy’s panettone, are popular Christmas fare. This delectable cookbook offers more than 150 irresistible recipes accompanied by mouthwatering photographs, ideas for delicious variations, and fascinating historical and cultural facts. This is a must-have for anyone who loves making (or eating!) cake.
 
(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

7 comments:

Donna said...

A World of Cake looks fabulous! I will definitely check out my library for it. Thanks for sharing!

Luanne said...

I'm glad you saw something that caught your eye Myckyee. I always wonder if anyone heads to the library to find any of these titles - now I know!

Reeder Reads said...

Cakes and books are my two favorite things in the world!

Anonymous said...

Those are a good idea for my mother-i-law's birthday. She's been into cake decorating lately.

bermudaonion said...

Those look great, but I know I could never recreate any of the cakes they feature.

Luanne said...

Reeder - sounds good - a slice of cake while reading!

Carol - A World of Cakes was really good, it would make a great gift

Kathy - I know, I've tried when the kids were little. They never noticed the lumps and bumps. I am always amazed by people's talent!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh FUN!!!! I'm the world's worst baker/cook BUT I do like art and if you sell it to me THAT way, I might just bite. ;O)