Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Over the Counter # 51

After reading The Wilder Life earlier this week, the latest book to catch my eye this week as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner was Self Sufficiency edited by Abigail R. Gehring.

From Skyhorse Publishing:

"Now, more than ever, people across the country are turning toward simpler, greener, and quieter ways of living—whether they're urbanites or country folk. Following in the footsteps of Back to Basics and Homesteading, this large, fully-illustrated book provides the entire family with the information they need to make the shift toward self-sufficient living.

Self-Sufficiency provides tips, advice, and detailed instructions on how to improve everyday life from an environmentally and organic perspective while keeping the focus on the family. Readers will learn how to plant a family garden and harvest the produce; can fruits and vegetables; bake bread and cookies; design interactive and engaging "green" projects; harness natural wind and solar energy to cook food and warm their homes; boil sap to make maple syrup; and build treehouses, furniture, and more. Also included are natural crafts readers can do with their kids, such as scrapbooking, making potato prints, dipping candles, and constructing seasonal decorations. Whether the goal is to live entirely off the grid or just to shrink their carbon footprints, families will find this book a thorough resource and a great inspiration."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

3 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh, this looks great! My husband is a big gardener and otherwise really into making our house and lives self-sufficient. Cool!

bermudaonion said...

I long for self-sufficiency but I want someone else to do all the work.

By Book or By Crook said...

I checked this out from the library recently. And while I didn't read it (more like paged through it looking at pictures and topics) I can say it has EVERYTHING in it you could possibly want to know. Great for someone who has the ambition to do it all and do it all from scratch.