Friday, April 8, 2011

Love You More- Lisa Gardner

I'm a huge fan of best selling author Lisa Gardner. She is one of my favourite thriller/suspense authors. But I think I enjoy the Detective D. D. Warren books the most. Love You More is the 5th in the series.

It appears that State Trooper Tessa Leoni finally had enough and shot her abusive husband Brian with her service revolver. But where is her 6 yr old daughter Sophie? Did Brian take her somewhere? Badly beaten, Tessa confesses, but claims she has no idea where Sophie is.  Brought onto the case by her ex lover and partner Bobby Dodge, D.D. is convinced Tessa is lying.

Love You More is told in alternating chapters from D.D and Bobby's view and then from Tessa's. Gardner slowly reveals clues and revelations that change the plot and ratchet up the action. What I thought was going to be the outcome totally changed by the time I reached the last page.

D.D. Warren is a tough-talking, brash, bold cop who doesn't take any crap. Justice is her goal and she'll stop at nothing to get there. But there's a chink in her armour this time around. She's just found out she's pregnant. She's a character I just really enjoy. Tessa was an interesting character. I just couldn't predict where she was going to end up.

I have actually listened to the last two book in audio format and I think I'll continue. The reader for D.D. is excellent. Kirsten Potter has a direct, no nonsense voice that is now the embodiment of D.D. for me. Katie MacNicholl was the reader for Tessa. Her voice seemed to change and grow as her character's circumstances changed. It was a good contrast with Potter's voice.

Another great thriller full of twists and turns. A non stop read or listen! Fans of Harlan Coben or Linwood Barclay would enjoy this series.

Read an excerpt of Love You More. Or listen to an excerpt.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've never read Gardner's work, but this one is in my TBR pile and I'm anxious to read it.

clenna said...

I would LOVE to read rhis book.

clenna at aol dot com

Unknown said...

Excellent review. Gardner is one of my favorite writers. She never fails to deliver a suspense filled story.
Mike