Thursday, July 27, 2023

The Second Chance Store - Lauren Bravo


It was the cover of Lauren Bravo's new novel - The Second Chance Store - that caught my eye. I can't ever walk past a second hand store...there are treasures just waiting for me! 

Thirty-eight old Gwen has just been made redundant at work. She's trying hard to convince herself that this is a positive thing - she can take this time to figure out what she really wants to do with her life. She also needs/wants people in her life - friends and maybe a special someone? After cleaning out some stuff in her closet, she finds herself in a second chance store. And finds herself filling out a volunteer application...

I love the characters Bravo has created, especially Gwen. She's believable, and I think many of us will identify with her inner dialogue, thoughts and actions. The supporting cast is a very mixed bag of quirky characters who all bring something to the table. Their stories and lives are just as compelling.

It was a joy to see Gwen move forward (with more than a few side steps). I'm going to leave it for you to discover how that happens. I don't think Gwen is unique in her situation. Covid has left many folks isolated and lonely.

Now, here's the fun bit. Alternating with Gwen's narrative are small stories. About many of the items found in the Second Chance Store! I've done this myself when in a used goods store. Who had this, why did they let it go?

The Second Chance Store is a lovely, slower paced tale. I found myself picking up and putting down the book over a few weeks but I did really enjoy it. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Second Chance Store.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

Sounds a very enjoyable read. Thanks for the review

Luanne said...

Thanks for stopping by Mystica!

Ethan said...

I love the idea of the short stories giving life to the objects in the store!

Luanne said...

I always wonder when I'm in a second chance store!