Friday, July 7, 2023

The Clearing - Simon Toyne

The Clearing is the second entry in Simon Toyne's Laughton Rees series. It can absolutely be read as a stand alone though.

Laughton is an academic, but she is also a forensic expert with ties to the Met. Her latest research has uncovered a large number of missing women - far too many - for the small village near the Forest of Dean. Another woman has just been listed as missing, so she decides to visit the area herself.

What does she run into you ask? A town steeped in folklore and legends, unhelpful police, a lord of the manor with his own agenda and a hostile settlement in the forest. Laughton and the missing woman's sister start their own investigation.

I really liked Laughton as a lead character - she's tenacious, highly intelligent and brave. She has a way words - she can easily tie up someone with her speaking. And she's somewhat rash, often acting before she thinks. A protagonist that's easy to like. Toyne has given her a personal life that rounds out the character.

Toyne does a great job building the setting. The forest descriptors gave me shivers and the town and it's residents had me looking over my shoulder.

The plot uses some familiar elements, but Toyne puts his own spin on things. He also gives the reader many choices for the final whodunit. Lots of red herrings had me changing my final answer more than once on the way. Lots of suspense scenes as well that gave me goosebumps.

I quite enjoyed The Clearing. I look forward the next book in this series. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Clearing. 

4 comments:

Ethan said...

I read Toyne's Sanctus Trilogy about a decade ago, and really loved it as a historical adventure thriller in the same vein as the works by Dan Brown or Steve Berry. This one sounds like a different kind of beast, but I'm eager to give it a go.

Luanne said...

I read those as well Ethan. I picked up this book based on his name. Creepy good.

Mystica said...

Second review today on this author on my blogs. Creepily good.

Luanne said...

Great minds think alike!