Wednesday, July 5, 2023

The Librarianist - Patrick deWitt

The Librarianist is award winning author Patrick deWitt's latest novel. 

The life of Bob Comet is the heat of the plot. The timeline opens with Bob at seventy one years old, ruminating on his life. The next jump takes us back to Bob as young man, next a child, and finally, circling back to the end.

Bob, in his words and thoughts, lives a small life, and it is and has been enough in his opinion.

"Bob had long given up on the notion of knowing anyone, or of being known. He communicated with the world partly by walking through if, but mainly by reading about it."

I liked Bob immediately and enjoyed his observations of time, people and place. But I also felt sad for him - he seems so very alone. But that view is seen through my own filters and opinions. I loved the childhood time frame and the epic adventure he embarks on. I wanted him continue to grow that venturesome spirit. But on the flipside, his quiet, calm, thoughtful manner is very appealing. And his love for books is much appreciated by this reader. 

deWitt's writing is quite different for me. The interactions, escapades, situations, thoughts and more took on the feel of vignettes. The dialogue is often funny, but I had to get used to the bantering, off center style. I quite enjoyed the ending. A bit implausible, but fitting.

If you enjoy character drawn tales, this is for you. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Librarianist. 

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I've seen this eye-catching cover but wasn't aware of what the plot was. It sounds like a wonderful portrait of a man and his life. Consider my interest piqued!

Luanne said...

It's a unique tale Ethan. I appreciated being surprised.