Wednesday, January 11, 2023

You Will Never Be Found - Tove Alsterdal

You Will Never Be Found is the second book in Tove Alsterdal's 'High Coast' series. While this is a series, you don't need to have read the first book to enjoy this latest. There are enough references to let you know who's who and their relationships etc.

Detective Eira Sjodinn is the lead character. She's a dogged, determined investigator that will follow the slimmest of clues to close a case. While she excels at work, her personal life is a bit of a mess. This personal thread adds much to the character. And I'm curious as to how some of her choices are going to play out.

She's caught her work cut out for her when a man reported missing is found in a remote, unpopulated area in a cellar. And then another man goes missing...but this one is personal.

I liked Alsterdal's plotting. The tension grows as the search widens and still nothing or no one is found. It seems like a needle in a haystack. And this is where Eira's critical thinking comes into play. Does she have the answer? There's no room to be wrong as we head to the final pages. Alsterdal kept my attention from first page to last. And an unexpected door is left open for the next entry in the series - which I would happily pick  up. See for yourself - read an excerpt of You Will Never Be Found.

Tove Alsterdal has won the awards for Best Swedish Crime Novel of the Year and the Glass Key Award for Best Nordic Crime Novel. 

2 comments:

Kay said...

This one sounds really good. Did you read the first book? I think I saw that my library had purchased that one. I'll look for it. Even though you said that this one could be read without reading the first, I still like to try to read in order. Nice review, Luanne!

Luanne said...

No, I can't see that I did read the first one Kay. I like starting at the beginning as well. But if I've read out of order, I can only go forward. Odd, I know! Hope you enjoy!