Friday, January 6, 2023

Small World - Laura Zigman

Small World is Laura Zigman's new novel. 

What's it about? Family. Two sisters - Joyce and Lydia - find themselves sharing an apartment after their divorces. This proximity has them reliving and often reverting to childhood behaviour. But can this close physicality perhaps help them to confront and deal with unresolved issues as well? 

I loved that Joyce and Lyndia were not cookie cutter characters. They're both quirky and believable. I didn't love them all the time, but quite liked them. Perhaps because Zigman has captured the truth with her characters? 

Small World is told in a past and present narrative. This style of storytelling gives the reader aha moments as the 'why' pieces of the present snap into place. 

The book was a slow burn for the first part, but picked up momentum as part two brings supporting players to the table - and more issues. Or perhaps not...

Zigman captured the emotions and hurts alongside the joy and acceptance. On reading the author's notes, I discovered there is more than a little of her own experiences woven into the book. 

An excellent read on many fronts. And I have to say, I stopped more than once, reflecting on my own familial ups and downs. Zigman is a very talented wordsmith. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Small World. 

Oh, and there are also many entries from a neighbourhood online group (called Small World)  that have been turned into poetry by Joyce. I quite enjoyed them!

3 comments:

Mystica said...

Thank you for the review

Luanne said...

Thank you Mystica for reading!

Harvee said...

I know siblings living together can cause some friction at times. I wonder how these two handled it.