Monday, July 4, 2022

First Born - Will Dean

I really enjoyed Will Dean's previous book, The Last Thing to Burn. (my review). He has just released a new title - First Born

Molly Raven. Katie Raven. Identical twins. Ah, when twins are involved it seems like there's a suspense story just waiting to be uncovered. Molly lives in Britain close to her parents. Katie has travelled to the US to go to school. The girls are very different from each other though. Molly worries, is introverted, but quite smart. Katie is the extrovert and is more daring.

But..... and this is not a spoiler as it's announced in the first few pages... Katie is dead, perhaps murdered. Molly and her parents fly to New York to find out more. Molly takes it upon her self to start an investigation of her own. The book is told by Molly.

I thought Molly was an unusual lead character. I found her and her parents to be somewhat, well, odd in their actions and discussions. Everything is staccato - short sentences, off kilter conversations and more. The parents have spoken to the police, but don't really have any answers to give Molly. When the detective in charge meets with Molly, it's the same side stepping. Would a family be satisfied with this wait and see attitude? The investigation seemed almost sketchy to me. Molly meets another person looking into the murder and she embraces him on face value. Which doesn't match her OCD tendencies that have her preparing for any and all danger that might come her way.

Just as awkward for me was the investigation that Molly mounts. It continues on much longer than would be realistic and the interactions and situations that Molly forces are just as unbelievable for me. There is, of course, a twist involved.It was telegraphed much earlier in the book than I expected to see it. And therefore the ending seemed almost tacked on. And it too, was over the top.

Sorry to say, that this was just an okay read for me. 

3 comments:

Ethan said...

Twins seem to be growing in popularity for suspense novels. I'm not sure that is for the better though. I'll probably skip this one.

fredamans said...

I just started this one and it's my intro to the author. I hope I like it more than you did. Great, honest review!

Luanne said...

Twins does seem to only have a few avenues to travel. But his first book was fantastic Ethan.

Freda I'll be curious to see what you think.