Friday, April 22, 2022

Watch Out For Her - Samantha M. Bailey

Watch Out For Her is Samantha M. Bailey's second novel. 

Sarah and her husband Daniel decide to take on Holly as a summer babysitter for their young son Jacob. Holly is the daughter of one of Daniel's colleagues. And it's good in the beginning - until it's not. Sarah and her family end up packing up and moving from Vancouver to Toronto to put distance between themselves and Holly. 

So, what happened? Bailey tells her story from a now and then narrative, alternating between Sarah's and Holly's point of view. I didn't like Holly at all, despite what's going on with her. I initially liked Sarah in the beginning, but changed my mind fairly early on in the book. There are a number of supporting players in both locales, providing lots of options for suspicious behavior. 

As I read Watch Out For Her, I started to note some plot points with a 'really?' There were just too many coincidences, unrealistic behaviors and too many threads that were simply unbelievable for me. The whodunit is fairly obvious and easy to suss out. Much of the plot is cliched and the overall effect was too much. Less can sometimes work better than so many disparate and farfetched threads. 

I'm in the minority on this one. Check out what others thought on Goodreads.

No comments: