Monday, April 11, 2022

The Sign for Home - Blair Fell

It's no secret - I love to read and listen to books. I have my favourite genres but I really, really appreciate being caught off guard with something new, different or unexpected. Blair Fell's new novel The Sign for Home is one of those books.

Arlo Dilly is a young DeafBlind man, a Jehovah’s Witness and is under his uncle's guardianship. His life is strictly regimented by that uncle - no friends, no extracurricular activities, just church work, no internet, no video phone, just a narrow, prescribed life. Arlo finally convinces Brother Birch to let him take a creative writing class at the local community college. He’s put on strict warning to behave and another JW will act as his ASL interpreter. When a second interpreter is needed, that's when Cyril comes in.

We come to know Arlo bit by bit through his inner thoughts and his writing. A reference to something and/or someone in his past tantalizingly unfolds as Arlo finds his voice and his wings, slowly but surely. Cyril is a part of that, wanting more for his client. He too has his own memories that he needs to confront. He's not perfect, but he tries to be and do the best he can. Sanctimonious Brother Birch had me shouting out loud - he made me so angry! Cyril's best friend Hanne is a free spirit who doesn't hear the word no.

I would’ve loved this book if I read it, but I chose to listen - and that was the perfect choice for this story. I always feel immersed in a story when I listen. I was thrilled to find that it was the author himself narrating his own work. Fell actually works as an ACL interpreter. He knows what he’s writing about  and his work has that ring of authenticity. Fell is a very expressive reader. He captures the loneliness, frustration, sadness, anger, hope and love that Arlo experiences. Arlo 'speaks' in staccato bursts that I feel are an accurate depiction. Fell provides different voices for the supporting cast that make it easy to know who is speaking. His voice is clear and easy to understand. A great book and a great performance. Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt of The Sign for Home. 

Arlo's awakening and reckoning made for a 'just one more chapter' listen, keeping me up 'til late at night. The Sign for Home is gut wrenchingly good and heartbreakingly sad. You’re gonna love it. Absolutely, positively recommended. An easy five stars.

No comments: