Monday, April 25, 2022

The Wild Girls - Phoebe Morgan

Phoebe Morgan's latest book is The Wild Girls. And it's a wild tale!

As teenagers, Grace, Felicity, Alice, and Hannah dubbed themselves The Wild Girls. They were fast friends until something happened two years ago that destroyed the friendship. As listeners we don't know what that 'until' is. But, when Felicity contacts the other three with an olive branch - an all paid escape to a Botswana holiday spot to celebrate Felicity's birthday - they all agree to go.

Morgan gives a voice to all four women and we slowly learn more about their friendships, their personal lives and their inner thoughts. Morgan slowly lets the listener to get closer to what happened amongst the four. And...what is happening now. Because there's something very wrong at the holiday spot.  

Morgan deliciously ramps up the suspense with every new chapter, often changing the narrator at a critical spot. (Which only ensures I will be up late listening to 'just one more chapter.'

Now, I thought I had things all figured out as the end drew near. I had guessed one bit, but didn't see the last 'gotcha' coming. Well done Phoebe Morgan!

I am so glad that four narrators were used for this book - Stephanie Racine, Polly Baron, Silvia Presente and Olivia Dowd. Each had a completely different voice that made it easy to know who was speaking. Each voice suited the character they were reading. The readers were very expressive in their roles, easily capturing the uncertainty, the unknown, the danger and the tension of Morgan's book. All four spoke clearly, enunciated well and were easy to understand. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I become more immersed in a book when I listen. And The Wild Girls is the perfect example of that. Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt of The Wild Girls.

The publisher has suggested that if you like Ruth Ware and Lucy Foley, you'll like Phoebe Morgan. I agree. Great plot, great listening experience. Five stars for me. 

2 comments:

Mystica said...

Several blogs carrying reviews of this one. Thanks for the post.

Luanne said...

It's a great listen or read Mystica!