Thursday, July 12, 2018

Lying in Wait - Liz Nugent

I listened to Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent last year and really enjoyed her writing. (my review) I leapt at the chance to listen to her next book, Lying in Wait.

Nugent again starts her book off with a line guaranteed to draw the reader in....."My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it." Yup, I was hooked!

1980's Dublin. Lydia Fitzsimons has it all - successful husband, beautiful home and a son she dotes on. There is something missing from her life though - and that one thing is what leads to the opening line. And then her son Laurence discovers that secret....

Lying in Wait is told from three points of view - Lydia, Laurence and Annie's sister Karen. The time frame moves to 2016. The listener is privy to each narrative, knowing what each character doesn't. It makes for a curiously voyeuristic listen. As each player adds something to the narrative, the tension heightens. Nugent's plotting kept me off kilter and I honestly envisioned the ending going in a completely different direction. Nugent completely surprised me with her unexpected ending. I'm not sure I like it, but it is quite fitting.

I really enjoyed having three narrators used to tell Nugent's tale - Caoilfhionn Dunne, David McFetridge and Lesley McGuire. I'm not sure which woman was Lydia or Karen, but both were excellent. The voice for Lydia has an entitled air that perfectly captured her imperious, self assured demeanor. That tone never falters, no matter what she is saying - like that opening line. And for the listener, self assured becomes self deluded as the book progresses. The voice for Karen was deliciously low with an almost growly undertone. The accent is thicker for this character as she is from a different social strata. I really liked that low tone - it drew the listener in. The voice for Laurence is just as well suited. He captures Laurence's innocence and dawning awareness with each new revelation. Each reader was easy to understand and pleasant to listen to. Listen to an excerpt of Lying in Wait.

An excellent listen for me - five stars.  You can connect with Liz Nugent on her website, like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter. I'm eager to get my hands on her next book - Lying in Wait.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I really liked Unraveling Oliver too so need to pick this up. That cover is super creepy!

fredamans said...

Unraveling Oliver was my favorite read of last year so I definitely need a copy of this one!

Luanne said...

Bermudaonion - yeah, the cover is really good. And if you liked Unraveling Oliver, you're going to love this one.

Fredamans - I liked this one even more than Unraveling Oliver.

Mystica said...

Thank you for the review. New author and new book for me.

Luanne said...

You're welcome Mystica - I hope you enjoy her writing!