Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Slip of the Knife - Denise Mina


I stumbled across Denise Mina as an author years ago when I picked up her first novel Garnethill.

Her gritty style captured me then and Slip of the Knife just confirms why I enjoyed it so much.

Paddy Meehan is a female reporter in Glasgow, Scotland. When her ex boyfriend Terry is found shot execution style, she mourns his passing. She is stunned to find out he has left her his house and a folder full of notes - he was also a reporter. As she digs further into his death, it looks like The Troubles have a part in his passing. How far will Paddy go to find the truth - especially after her son is threatened.

There is so much more to the plot than just that brief overview. The subplots involving Paddy's troubled personal life, her family and friends are just as fascinating. Meehan is a recurring character who is overweight, cantankerous, loyal and dogged. She is a wonderful protagonist simply because she is so far from a 'perfect' character.

Mina's writing is gritty and real. Her descriptions and conversations leap off the page. She has a sly sense of humour, often injected when least expected. Historical fact is carefully woven into fiction.

Read an excerpt of Slip of the Knife.

Absolutely recommended!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to read this author. I'll get around to it this year I hope. Thanks for sharing!

Darlene said...

I've heard good things about this author but have yet to read anything of hers. This really sounds good.

Tribute Books said...

Sounds interesting, Thanks, for the review.

bermudaonion said...

Wow, I can't wait to read this now - it sounds like a book I will love.

Cathy said...

Yup. One of my favorite authors. None of her books that I've read has disappointed.

Unknown said...

Would love to win this book.

I am a follower.

Eileen
wiseowlreviews@aol dot com