Thursday, April 1, 2010

Over the Counter #2 Garden Gnomes - A History


Yes, Garden Gnomes - A History from Shire Books caught my eye this week as it passed under my scanner. I think it was the gnome with a gun....

From the publisher:

"This is the intriguing story of garden gnomes and how they have come to reside in the flowerbeds of gardens across Britain. Originating in Europe, gnomes made the leap across the channel in the nineteenth century, where they were welcomed warmly by wealthy Brits who saw them as the must-have garden accessory. But the fortunes of the humble gnome were not to last, and they soon found themselves sneered at by serious gardeners. Turned away from fashionable gardens, the little gnomes found a friend in many a working class gardener, who adopted them in increasing numbers, and in a variety of humorous poses. Today, gnomes are as popular with the masses as ever, and this entertaining illustrated history will appeal to those who love, and hate, these small bearded characters."





And this little portly fellow lives in my library - yes I have a library gnome - and it looks suspiciously like my husband. ( It was painted to resemble him - he has a liking for gnomes.)




..........Beware......they're everywhere - even on Easter.........

( Over the counter is a new irregular feature in which Luanne realizes she cannot physically read every book she sees at work)

8 comments:

Kerry said...

This is wonderful! I actually work for Shire in the US and was so excited to see this title pop up on my book review feed this morning. Thanks for sharing. And, not that I'm biased or anything, but it is a great little book. :-)

Kaye said...

I kind of like garden gnomes and have on occasion expressed a fondness for the travelocity gnome. He's just too cute! The book looks like a fun read. Have a great week!

bermudaonion said...

Your husband looks like a gnome?

Luanne said...

Kathy - it was a Christmas gift one year - the face, beard and hair definitely look like him - and the tummy a little bit too, although he is significantly taller.....

Anonymous said...

I love garden gnomes! I know it's a little sad. I actually have one who is carrying a book that lives under my azalea. He needs repainted this year again, though.

Anonymous said...

Did the book happen to mention anything about the Gnome Liberation Front, and gnoming?

Allison said...

I love gnomes!! Im gonna have to check out this book...I have 3 gnomes in my front yard!! Thanks for sharing!!

Melwyk said...

I too love gnomes. We have a very small library gnome of our own.

"in which Luanne realizes she cannot physically read every book she sees at work"

What? We can't? You're making me feel as if my plan for world reading domination has a flaw somewhere...