Friday, July 15, 2016

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #114

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
I've got Lisa Jewell's new book, The Girls in the Garden on hold at the library. Jojo Moyes liked it and there was an 'if you liked Paula Hawkins' reference. But when I went looking for a comparison cover this week, I discovered that the same book was called only 'The Girls'. I wonder why that is? So, US cover on the left and UK cover on the the right. Easy choice for me this week. I like the ivy covered mansion - these kind of shots always bring hidden secrets to mind. The UK cover looks far too juvenile to me, given the premise. But as always, there's a great tagline. Which cover do you prefer?
Any plans to read this book?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Yes, I'm planning on reading the book and I like the US cover better too. Have no idea why the name was changed. It's kind of annoying because then people wonder whether they've read the book or not.

cindysloveofbooks said...

I bought this book last earlier this month and I am hoping to read it very soon. Looking at the covers I would have to say that the US cover seems to fit the book better. Its funny that there is a name change for the book, I don't like when they change the titles because it leaves you thinking that there is another book you didn't read. That has happened in the past so annoying...

VictoriaS said...

Definitely the US cover, stronger imagery, feels much more elegant and ivy peeking through type feels tangled, a harbinger of things to come. Perhaps they had to augment the title because there's another book The Girls by Emma Cline?

Jennifer C said...

US cover for me, too, definitely. It's gorgeous and lures me right into the story. I bought the book, and I think it's one of my favorite covers this summer. I agree with you that the UK cover doesn't denote the same feelings and is kind of generic.