Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Over the Counter #301

What books caught my eye this week as they passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Adventuresome folks this week....

First up is Dude Making a Difference: Bamboo Bikes, Dumpster Dives and Other Extreme Adventures Across America by Rob Greenfield.

From New Society Publishers:

"You want to do something for the planet, but what? Change a light bulb, install a low-flow faucet, eat organic? How about ride 4,700 miles across America on a bamboo bicycle, using only water from natural sources, avoiding fossil fuels almost completely, supplying your few electrical needs with solar power and creating nearly zero waste?

Sound crazy? Maybe. But not if you're Rob Greenfield. Then it sounds like a pretty amazing way to bring your message to as many people as possible, and to have a great time doing it. Dude Making a Difference is Rob's first-person account of his incredible adventure in radical sustainability. Join him as he pedals from coast to coast in 3-½ months while:

Creating only 2 pounds of trash. Using just 160 gallons of water. Eating 284 pounds of food from grocery store dumpsters.This one-of-a-kind travelogue will inspire you to reexamine your relationship with the earth's resources. Rob's captivating stories of life on the low-impact road are rounded out by practical guides to help you reduce your personal ecological footprint and plan your own larger-than-life adventures."

Next up is No Baggage: A Minimalist Tale of Love and Wandering by Clara Bensen.

From Running Press:

"One Dress, Three Weeks, Eight Countries—Zero Baggage

Newly recovered from a quarter-life meltdown, Clara Bensen decided to test her comeback by signing up for an online dating account. She never expected to meet Jeff, a wildly energetic university professor with a reputation for bucking convention. They barely know each other’s last names when they agree to set out on a risky travel experiment spanning eight countries and three weeks. The catch? No hotel reservations, no plans, and best of all, no baggage. Clara’s story will resonate with adventurers and homebodies alike—it’s at once a romance, a travelogue, and a bright modern take on the age-old questions: How do you find the courage to explore beyond your comfort zone? Can you love someone without the need for labels and commitment? Is it possible to truly leave your baggage behind? "

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Both sound really good. My library doesn't have either one of these so I put in a purchase suggestion for them. Can't wait to read them!

Billbrarian said...

I think both sound interesting. The first one exists in my library or one close to me because I have seen it and picked it up to look at. I didn't take it home though. I might have to reconsider. I really like this idea for a meme. I only work at the circulation desk on rare occasions and don't see very often what others check out. Great post.