Monday, December 22, 2014

Angels Sing

I love that moment when I realize I have finished my shopping, the wrapping is done, the work week has ended and Christmas is around the corner.

And this is when I load up on Christmas cheer, with holiday books, music - and movies!

Angels Sing is a new addition to my holiday shelf. The movie is based on the book When Angels Sing by Turk Pipkin. I had read the book - and enjoyed it. As always, with book to film adaptations, I was curious to see how close the movie would stick to the original story.

Harry Connick Jr. stars as Michael Walker, a family man who refuses to celebrate Christmas. His reason is understandable - and heartbreaking. When the family unknowingly moves to a street known for its elaborate Christmas celebrations and tragedy strides, Michael is forced to confront his past as the impact on the present is too great to ignore.

There's a great cast in Angels Sing - most with a musical bent - notably Willie Nelson as an angel, Lyle Lovett as an neighbour and Kris Kristofferson as Grandpa. All of them contribute musical moments to the film.

And this is a feel good film for the family. (Although there is one sad event that parents should be prepared to discuss with younger children) But there are some funny bits as well. (watch for the snowman's smile turning into a frown) The music is great, the decorations on the street lovely and the overall sentiment can't help but put you in a festive mood. The family interactions are positively portrayed and families viewing together will find lots of food for thought. The plot is somewhat obvious, but that's what I'm looking for in my holiday viewing - happy endings.

No comments: