Thursday, August 26, 2010

Over the Counter #20

Awkward Family Photos by Mike Bender and Doug Chernack was the latest book to catch my eye as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner this week.

Usually I just skim throught the over the counter offerings, but this time I enjoyed every last page! Who doesn't have an awkward photo hanging around?

From the publisher, Three Rivers Press:

"Based on the hit website, AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com (“painful, regrettable, horrifyingly awesome snaps of family bonding, you will laugh so hard that people in adjoining offices will ask what’s wrong with you”—Esquire), this full color book features never-before-seen photos and hilarious personal stories covering everything from uncomfortable moments with relatives, teen angst, sibling rivalry, and family vacations from hell. Cringe at the forced poses, bad hair, and matching outfits--all prompting us to look at our own families and celebrate the fact that we're not alone. Nothing says awkward better than an uncomfortable family photograph!"

You really have to check out the awkward family photos website as well - continually added to.

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Luanne, you find the most unique books. This one looks hilarious and don't we all have a few of those photos tucked in (hidden) in a box somewhere! I'm seeing if my library has this.

Luanne said...

Kay I hope your library does have it - it was a lot of fun!

bermudaonion said...

I love that website, so I bet the book is hilarious!!

Jen said...

I saw this on my library's new book shelf, took it home, and tried reading it before bed. Gave up --- was laughing too hard!

Was much easier to read the next morning over breakfast. :)

Dorte H said...

I think most of our family photos are embarrasingly normal, in fact, but I like the idea. I have also read a few novels based on old photos, and they often result in wonderful plots.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've seen this website but I didn't know they had a book already.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Joan Simpson