Monday, August 16, 2010

Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City - Holly Denham

I adored Holly's Inbox when it was released last year. (my review) I was thrilled when the sequel Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City landed in my mailbox!

Scandal picks right up where the first book left off. Holly is in love with Toby, her childhood sweetheart, she is still working as a receptionist at a London bank, still friends with Jason, Aisha and Trisha. But in Holly's world, things are never quite smooth sailing. Tanya, the catering manager at the bank, has her eye on Toby, Holly and Toby have been two ships passing in the night lately - is something going on? Holly puts her name in for a promotion at work, but will the gossip mill kill her chances?

Lots of fun chick lit scenarios, romance and laughs abound. But here's the really neat thing - the entire book  is written as emails between all the characters! An absolutely addicting format - one that had me turning pages until the entire book was consumed in one sitting. (Somewhat like eating the entire bag of chips...)

Scandal in the City provides more depth to the character of Holly. I feel like I 'know' her better now. Although the light hearted tone is present throughout, a few more serious issues are tackled. The characters aren't limited to just work. Holly's Grandma provides lots of laughs, and we wonder what is the world is going on with her brother. Jason and Trisha are my favourite supporting characters - friends you'd definitely like to have in your own circle. The office politics emails had me laughing out loud!

It had been over a year since I read the first book, so it took me about 20 pages to get on top of things again. Scandal could certainly be read as a stand alone book, but I really recommend reading the first book as well - both for background and because it's so darn good!

I'm really hoping that there is a third book in the works - I'm hooked! Unless I can figure out some way to get on Holly's contact list....

An absolute must read for any chick lit fan. Tuck this one in your beach bag for sure!

The other suprising thing about this series is the author. Holly Denham is really Bill Surie - yes a man! You can find Holly on Facebook. Or check out Holly's Inbox online. Read an excerpt of Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City.

2 comments:

Patti V. said...

You know how much Toni and I loved Holly's Inbox, so I will definitely have to read this one! Thanks for the great review.

Luanne said...

Thanks Patti - it was a one sitting read! And when I got to the end I found that I had been quoted for one of the Jill Mansell books!