Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Innocent - Scott Turow

Innocent is the sequel to Scott Turow's bestseller Presumed Innocent.

Twenty years has passed since Judge Rusty Sabich was accused and exonerated of murder. Prosecutor Tommy Molto had tampered with evidence in that case. When Sabich's wife Barbara dies under questionable circumstances, the unthinkable happens - Molto charges Sabich with murder for a second time.

Turow combines the exploration of human nature and the legal system with equal expertise. The events surrounding and leading up to Barbara's death are scrutinized and probed from very different viewpoints. That of Rusty, his son Nat and Anna, Sabich's former law clerk as well as Tommy Molto. The battle in the courtroom is as much about the legal conflict as it is a clash between two forceful men. The plot is very, very clever and revealed in tantalizing pieces.

I listened to this in audio format. Edward Herrmann was phenomal as a reader. His voice is rich and gravelly, projecting the gravity of the case. The courtroom scenes are fantastic - the dialogue is lightning quick, yet there is no doubt as to who is speaking, prosecutor or defendant. Anna is spoken by Orlagh Cassidy. She has a clear speaking voice, but had narrated Worst Case - a book I listened to recently - and I had that voice and character connected in my mind. I also never warmed up to the Anna character at all.

I must confess I have not read Presumed Innocent, but this certainly did not detract in any way from my enjoying Innocent.

If you're a legal thriller fan, then this one's for you! Listen to an excerpt of Innocent.  Or read an excerpt.
You can find Scott Turow on Facebook as well.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

I read the first book and loved it. I have won this book on a contest and just waiting for it!

bermudaonion said...

I loved Presumed Innocent - it was just so different and fresh when it came out - so I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

Michele said...

I'm about halfway through this one on audio right now and loving it. I had read Presumed Innocent way back in the day and loved it, so I downloaded the audio of that one as well so I could enjoy a refresher before starting this one.....it's been a good audio time for me lately. :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

sounds great.. thanks for sharing! i love thrillers.