Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Don't Let the Devil Ride - Ace Atkins

Don't Let the Devil Ride is Ace Atkins' new novel. And what a ride it is! Atkins hits the ground running and the action, twists, turns and more just never stops.

The starting point? "A Memphis woman hires a PI to find her missing husband, only to discover that he is involved in a dangerous web of international intrigue - and she and her children are now at risk. Hell is empty…and Addison McKellar’s husband is missing."

There are many characters and each is given a voice. I really liked Addison, but my hands down favorite was legendary Memphis PI Porter Hayes. I swear the music from "Shaft" started to play in my head. (In a good way!)

The narrative bounces from plotline to plotline in each chapter - a style that always keeps me up late for just one more chapter. At first, I thought it was a bit far-fetched, but I changed my tune as the seemingly disparate elements started to weave themselves together. 

The dialogue is short, snappy and adds to the overall feeling of the book. I quite enjoyed Don't Let the Devil Ride and was a bit surprised by some of the other reviews. I was with S.A. Cosby on this one. "An instant Southern noir classic". See for  yourself - read an excerpt of Don't Let The Devil Ride

No comments: