Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Last One - Will Dean

Oh. my. gosh. I've enjoyed Will Dean's previous books and was looking forward to his new novel - The Last One. What a crazy tale it is! Crazy in a good way!

Here's all you need going in. Caz and her new boyfriend are taking a cruise ship holiday. They meet others, eat some wonderful food, have a few drinks, explore the ship and settle in for a good nights sleep, imagining what tomorrow will bring. And....what it brings is the unthinkable. There is no one else the ship. Caz is completely alone. 

What! How can that be? Surely she's missed something? There has to be other people. Is she dreaming? Drugged? 

Oh, Will Dean. You had me from the first chapters and kept my attention right to the last. I hadn't considered the answer to the how and why, and was caught totally off guard. I love being unable to predict what a book will bring. The listener is continually kept on their toes as things change rapidly and change the plot direction with unexpected twists and turns. And that last chapter? Did not see that coming either!

Now, there are a few bits that will ask the listener to suspend disbelief. Which I happily did. The Last One is a great take on the locked room mystery premise. 

I chose to listen to The Last One. I find that listening to a book immerses me more into the story. That was definitely the case with The Last One. The reader was Jenny Funnell and she was a great choice. She uses a British accent for Caz that is perfect. She also provides great voices for others that are easy to identify and let you know who is speaking. Funnell injects all the action and emotions of the plot into her reading. Her speaking is clear and easy to understand. A wonderful performance. Hear for yourself - listen to an excerpt of The Last One.

5 comments:

fredamans said...

I loved this one too.... I'm all for that plot twist!!

Luanne said...

There were so many! And that final one....

Glad to hear you liked it Freda.

Luanne said...

There are so many Mystica!

Ethan said...

Okay, I have to know what happens next!

Luanne said...

What happens is a lot of twists! Everything can changed in a heartbeat!