Friday, August 11, 2023

Dark Corners - Megan Goldin

I thought Megan Goldin's first book (The Night Swim) that featured Rachel Krall was fabulous. The second book - Dark Corners - has just released and I think it's even better! 

Rachel Krall is the voice and the brains behind the Guilty Or Not Guilty podcast. (Okay, I was immediately hooked in book one as I love crime podcasts.) I really like Rachel as a lead character. She's smart, tenacious, inquisitive and determined. And baffled - why would an inmate ready to be released pass Rachel's name on to a travel influencer named Maddison? Why is the FBI interested in that meeting? Rachel smells a story....

Goldin has created a great storyline that is told from many points of view. From Rachel herself, the transcripts of her podcast, more than one woman who made a deadly decision, a FBI agent and a rideshare driver. I love how the tale unfolded from all of these seemingly disparate players. The road to the final answers is full of twists and turns. I appreciate being unable to predict how a book will come together. Dark Corners is full of suspense that had me wanting to flip ahead a few pages to see what the outcome was. But I didn't!

Goldin has a background in reporting and I think her books benefit greatly from that skill set. The investigation was believable and well written. In addition to loving podcasts, I also enjoy novels written with epistolary elements. Goldin gave me both with podcast transcripts being included. 

I'm hoping there is another Rachel Krall book in the works. For me Dark Corners was a great read. This latest was an easy five stars. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Dark Corners

Gentle readers, there are trigger situations in this book.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I completely agree. What struck me about this one was how different it felt from the first book. It shows that Krall is a character who can be planted into any situation and be instantly intriguing. I've enjoyed Goldin's standalone efforts, but I won't say no to more of these books!

Luanne said...

More Krall for sure. And I wouldn't say no to new stand alones as well!