Monday, September 26, 2022

The Other Side of Night - Adam Hamdy

The early praise of crime writer Adam Hamdy's new novel, The Other Side of Night, caught my attention. 

Here's the description from the publisher:

"The Other Side of Night begins with a man named David Asha writing about his biggest regret: his sudden separation from his son, Elliot. In his grief, David tells a story. Next, we step into the life of Harriet Kealty, a police officer trying to clear her name after a lapse of judgment. She discovers a curious inscription in a secondhand book—a plea: Help me, he’s trying to kill me. Who wrote this note? Who is “he”? This note leads Harri to David Asha, who was last seen stepping off a cliff. Police suspect he couldn’t cope after his wife’s sudden death. Still, why would this man jump and leave behind his young son? Quickly, Harri’s attention zeroes in on a person she knows all too well. Ben Elmys: once the love of her life. A surrogate father to Elliot Asha and trusted friend to the Ashas."

Initially, this description is what caught my eye. But it's presented differently than I had expected. The plot is intricate, somewhat byzantine, and falls into the literary mystery genre in my opinion. To be fair, I found the book to be a bit overwhelming. The narrative explores a theory I won't name, to prevent a spoiler. What I will say is that it didn't interest me. Given the description, I had expected more of a traditional mystery. That being said, I did finish the book, but in jumps and spurts.  I grew tired of hearing about 'a secret' over and over again, but with no answer. 

I chose to listen to The Other Side of Night. The reader was Justin Avoth. He has a wonderful rich full voice with a wonderfully resonant undertone. He's easy on the ears and his speed of reading was good. He uses his voice effectively to accentuate the author's work. However, the same voice is used for all the characters. I would have preferred a different tone or tenor to discern who was speaking. Hear for yourself - listen to an excerpt of The Other Side of Night. 

I'm in the minority of this one - I encourage you to check out the five star reviews on Goodreads. 

No comments: