Friday, September 23, 2022

Forsaken Country - Allen Eskens

Once I discovered Allen Eskens back in 2015, I started recommending him to everyone I knew. Since that first book, Eskens' writing has only got better and better. (Which is saying a lot as that first book was really good!)

His latest (and eighth) book is the newly released, Forsaken Country. For those of you who know his works, you'll be just as excited as I was to find that Max Rupert is at the heart of the book. 

In this latest, former Homicide Detective Max begins to question his self imposed solitude. Why? Well, Lyle, a retired lawman, comes to Max with a desperate plea for help. His daughter and grandson have gone missing - and the local sheriff has already made up his mind that she's run away and closed the case. Max has his reasons as to why he finally agrees to take a look at the case. Those who have read previous books, will know why he is so reluctant. New readers, there's certainly enough backstory to fill in the 'what came before'.

Oh my gosh, I could not put the book down. The plotting is brilliant. The action is non stop and had my stomach in knots. What to do? Yes, I stayed up very late until the last page was turned. I had to know the ending before I could sleep.

Eskens' characters have depth and introspective voices. Max's losses, love, pain, determination and struggle to be in the world again ring so true. On the flip side, there is an antagonist that will make your skin crawl, but again he rings true. There's a second antagonist had my sympathy by the end chapters. Each of these three have a voice with their own chapters.

What else is there to say - it's a fantastic book. And a very easy five stars. I can't wait to see Eskens' next book.

4 comments:

Ethan said...

If you say his writing is worth reading, I definitely believe you. Your recommendations never steer me wrong! Which book should I start with?

Luanne said...

Thank you Ethan! The first book is The Life We Bury. Here's a link to my review:

https://luanne-abookwormsworld.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-life-we-bury-allen-eskins.html

James Lawther said...

The Life we Bury was a great book, I think it was nominated for an Edgar. I will give Foresaken county a go. Thanks for the tip.

Luanne said...

Yes, you're right about the Edgar James. I hope you enjoy Forsaken Country. Thanks for stopping by!