Monday, May 30, 2022

Take Your Breath Away - Linwood Barclay

I know I'm in for a fantastic read when I see that Linwood Barclay has a new book out! His latest is Take Your Breath Away. And yes, it was every bit as good as I knew it would be. 

Six years ago, Andrew Mason went on a fishing trip with a friend. When he returned home, his wife Brie was missing. Despite having an alibi, Andy has always been the prime suspect for her murder, despite there being no body. He's moved on both physically and personally. Until a woman who bears more than a passing resemblance to Brie shows up at his old address. And then disappears again.... 

Oh, what a great premise! There's so many ways this could unfold. Barclay keeps the reader guessing from start to finish, with a wealth of characters (all with their own secrets) to choose from for the 'whodunit'. There's nothing I like better than a good twist and turn that I don't see coming. There's more than one of those in Take Your Breath Away. 

I love the level of detail Barclay puts into his settings, his players, the dialogue and of course, his clever, clever plotting. There are many sub plots and I wondered how the heck they would be woven together in the end. Barclay's writing is addictive, making it really hard to turn off the lights at night. I was happily entertained from first page 'til last. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Take Your Breath Away. 

And now the wait begins until the next Barclay book....

No comments: