Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Nine Lives - Peter Swanson

I've been looking forward to Peter Swanson's newest book Nine Lives. The premise really appealed to me. 

Nine people each receive a letter with a list of names, including theirs. One of the nine is found murdered on the beach with his letter clenched in his fist. Local police initially investigate, but the FBI is called in as things.....progress. I needed to know what that connection was. And if I could figure it out before the last pages.

There's a large list of characters to keep track of. Swanson provides a who's who in the beginning of the book that you can refer to. We meet each of the nine on the list through their own chapters. Not all are likeable, but some are. Some make connections with the others. All as the FBI tries to protect them. The local Maine cop likens the case to Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None', a very apt comparison. 

The details of the life of each of the nine is told somewhat dispassionately, staccato almost, from an observer's point of few. I came to hope that the ending would be different for some. But for most, the ending is noted and the list is shortened. And the count continued.

Swanson begins laying down a few clues to follow as the book progresses. The ending is a nice whodunit. I'm not sure I was all in on the impetus for the killer, but I quite enjoyed the journey. And the last chapter was a surprise add on. Tuck this one in your beach bag this summer. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Nine Lives.

7 comments:

Kay said...

I'm reading this one right now. And I listened to a podcast interview with the author as I walked outside this morning. Very interesting interview. I'm not far into the book so I'll see how it goes. However, I have really enjoyed most of his books that I've read. Think this is book #8 for him.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I am on a library waiting list for this one!

Luanne said...

I hope you both enjoyed it Many Thoughts and Kay! 2021's Every Vow You Break wasn't a great read for me. But this one was much better.

Ethan said...

I had a bit of a mixed reaction to his previous two releases, but this one already sounds like a return to form. I've got it on tap to read when we set sail on our cruise next week!

Luanne said...

Hey Ethan

Yes, I agree with you about the last two. This one is perfect for a beach - or in your case - cruise read!

Have a great time!!

James Lawther said...

I started to read the review and I thought to myself...

"This sounds very similar to Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None'"

It looks like somebody had that idea well before me. There is nothing like original thought is there?

Luanne said...

Well said James.