Friday, September 27, 2019

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #282

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true. 
 But you can like one cover version better than another...

US cover
UK cover
Nicci French's Freida Klein series ended last year. I wondered what she would write next. Well, its The Lying Room, a stand alone novel. The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. And I've added it to my TBR pile! Two 'dark' looks this week. The US cover has us looking out of a window in a house towards a window in another house. The obligatory dark and foreboding tree is present. And the sense of spying on someone is transmitted. The UK cover also has someone spying - this time looking through a keyhole into what seems to be a bedroom. Maybe it's the room in the US cover? In terms of grabbing my attention, the UK cover does that with the stark black and placement of  the title around the keyhole. I find the purple and grey to be a it meh. A bit too busy. So an easy UK for me this week. What about you? Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read The Lying Room?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I had trouble figuring the UK cover out so I'm voting for the US cover this week.

Kay said...

Sorry, I'm agreeing with Kathy above. I thought UK cover was lightbulb at first instead of a keyhole. I like the US cover. OK, so I'm glad that this new one is a standalone, but I was so sad about the previous series ending. Hope a new series is in the works.

Ethan said...

I really like the starkness of the UK cover. I loved French’s series, so this one has been added to my TBR list too!f

Icewineanne said...

UK cover wins it for me. Love the keyhole, it seems a much better fit with the title. The U.S. cover has too much going on, really had to look to see what it was actually trying to show us.

Luanne said...

A mixed bag this week - but 3 to 2 for the UK cover.