Tuesday, April 23, 2019

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World - C.A. Fletcher

I was absolutely consumed by C.A. Fletcher's new book, A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World. I literally couldn't put it down, and when I did, it was only because the tension was killing me and I had to walk away before I peeked ahead!

To honor the author's request..."It'd be a kindness to other readers - not to say this author - if the discoveries made as you follow Griz's journey into the ruins of our world remained a bit of a secret between us....", I'll be circumspect.

A event has taken most of the people from the Earth. But decades later there are still pockets of survivors that have made lives for themselves. Griz and his family are one of those, living on a remote Scottish island. (it really exists) But everything changes when a stranger arrives by water. And steals Griz's dog. And, for Griz, there is no choice - he's going to get his dog back.

"There may be no law left except what you make of it. But if you steal my dog, you can at least expect me to come after you. Because if we aren't loyal to the things we love, what's the point?"

Oh, what's not to love! What is Griz going to find outside of the parameters of his island? Who is still out there? What remnants of our civilization remain? Does he get his dog back? An author's imagining of a world after ours fascinates me every time. And Fletcher's vision of a future world is fantastic.

I love that Fletcher chose a young protagonist. This journey is a coming of age story for Griz. His determination and courage will endear him to readers. His thoughts and observations as he writes in his journal give this character even more depth. And food for thought for the reader.

The dog. Ahh, readers who are dog lovers (me included) are going to appreciate the canines in this tale. It's so easy to understand why Griz is determined to find his.

Fletcher is a dastardly master of foreshadowing and cliff hanger chapter endings. A sentence dropped into a paragraph that telegraphs a clue, an impending happening in Griz's quest. This is where I wanted to peek ahead so badly. (But don't!) Griz's journey is action-packed and will have the reader on the edge of their seat.

As Griz says - "I said I especially like the ones about apocalypses and dystopias because it's always interesting to see what the Before thought the After would be like."

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World is going to a be a favorite read of mine for 2019. C.A. Fletcher - if you're listening - more please! Read an excerpt of A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not big on apocalyptic or dystopian stories but your love of this book makes me want to read it.

Icewineanne said...

Great post Luanne. This sounds amazing! I’ve added it to my must-read list.
Happy reading & enjoy your day:-)

Luanne said...

Bermudaonion - it's an adventure - with some unexpected happenings...

Icewineanne - Thanks! I really did love it!

Dianna said...

Wow, I can sense your excitement through your post. Sounds like a terrific read. It's not one I would normally have selected, but adding it to my list now!

Luanne said...

I hope you like it as well Dianna!