Friday, June 24, 2016

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #111

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
I really enjoyed Laura McHugh's first novel, The Weight of Blood and am looking forward to her forthcoming book Arrowood. "“This robust, old-fashioned gothic mystery has everything you’re looking for: a creepy old house, a tenant with a secret history, and even a few ghosts." The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. Same idea on both covers, two little girls, a large old house and trees. I think I prefer the US cover this week. I like that the girls are in motion and that the house is decrepit. Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read Arrowood?
 You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think I like the motion on the US cover too.

Jennifer C said...

Both covers have me intrigued. I think US has a slight edge this week for me, but I love the trees on the UK cover. I am going to have to read The Weight of Blood in the mean time!

VictoriaS said...

I love the UK cover, it conveys much more of a Gothic aura to me. And graphically it's so perfectly rendered: those trees act as a frame for the main subject of the house and the intertwining of the limbs through the title with the little girls in the foreground, eerie and well done. Sorry, I get really excited when an artist captures a mood. I'd never heard of this author and really look forward to reading.

Icewineanne said...

Difficult decision this week :-) Really like the tall grasses & feeling of motion that the US cover coveys. Also find the boxed title attractive. On the UK cover, I love the weeping willows & the tag line. Hmm......i'll give US the edge.
The Weight of Blood was a terrific book and I'm thrilled to bits that the wait is almost over to read this one.