Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ashes to Dust - Yrsa Sigurdardottir

I've been reading a number of Nordic mystery/thriller authors lately, but Yrsa Sigurdardottir was the first Icelandic author I've read. Indeed, she is known as 'Iceland's Crime Queen.'

Yrsa's recurring character is lawyer Thora Gudmundsdottir. In Ashes to Dust, the third book in the series, Thora is employed by a former resident of Heimaey Island in  The Westman Islands. This fishing village was covered by a volcanic eruption in 1973 and only now (2007) is her client's former childhood home being uncovered. The government owns the houses and contents, but Markus insists on going to the basement ahead of the archaeologists to recover a box, before he signs off on the waiver. (I found the setting fascinating and ended up reading all about the Westman Islands online)

He swears he has no idea what's in the box - a friend left it in the basement and she is the one who desperately wants it back he says. But when the archaeologists go down after him, what they discover changes the game - three bodies nicely laid out. And the box? It contains a head. Yes, a head. Thora's case has taken a completely different turn.

Thora is a wonderfully different protagonist. She is a grandmother with a young child still at home, divorced, hoping that her long distance romance will work out. She's very, very determined and undertakes to prove her client's innocence. I found this different from North American practices - the lawyer pursuing clues and the truth rather than an investigator. I loved that she took along her secretary - again another character that's a square peg in a round hole. Interspersed with Thora's investigations are chapters from other characters that we know must somehow be related to the case.

Sigurdardottir has created a winding plot that takes us down many avenues, exploring familial relationships as well as those of a small close knit village. There are no great surprises (many of the clues are plainly laid out) and some of the story seems superfluous. At times, I wanted to hurry the tellin along - it seemed it could have been done in about eighty pages less.

I did enjoy the descriptions of Iceland's culture, lifestyle and scenery. But, Ashes to Dust felt a little wooden in parts. I'm not sure if this is in the original text or a result of the translation. It was an entertaining tale, but comparisons to Steig Larsson may be a bit too ambitious.

You can find Yrsa on Facebook. Read an excerpt of Ashes to Dust.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another author that I've been meaning to read. I like the idea that Icelandic scenery and culture are included. Always interesting.

bermudaonion said...

I need to get started on a Nordic mystery! I feel like I'm missing out on some good reading.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Thank you! Sounds different, and interesting. Never read a Nordic mystery.

My library has it and I will get it, when it's returned. :-)

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

Harvee said...

I do find it hard to read some of the translated Nordic mysteries ( the larsson trilogy is an exception) and I think it is due to the translations, which may be too literal?

I have this one and hope to get to it soon.