Tuesday, September 10, 2024

What Time the Sexton's Spade Doth Rust - Alan Bradley

I let out a squeal when I discovered that Alan Bradley had written a new Flavia de Luce book - What Time the Sexton's Spade Doth Rust. The titles are always quite enigmatic and it's fun seeing how they fit the story.

Now, this is number eleven in this series. You could read it as a stand alone, but you'd be depriving yourself of an addicting series! And some context. 

Flavia is a 'young woman' now, but she is still the irrepressible ten year old we met in the first book in the series. I love her inner dialogue, her running feud with her sisters and now her young cousin, her joy in solving cases ahead of the constabulary, tinkering in her laboratory and working with her poisons. Still riding her beloved bicycle Gladys that was her mothers. I could go on and on about this absolutely wonderful lead character. As a ten year old myself I always wanted to be a certain character in a mystery. But I think being Flavia would a lot more interesting!

So, a great character, now how about the mystery found in every book? Just as good! They're always well written and are satisfying. Bradley brings forward happenings and clues from the last book and weaves them into the current book. Whoa! I did not see the plotting going where it did in this latest! The whodunit was surprising and satisfying but left the door open for more. Please Alan Bradley!

2 comments:

Mystica said...

I like these books too. Sorry I’ve just missed it on Netgalley.

Luanne said...

Oh drat - I'm sorry you missed it too Mystica!