Monday, July 29, 2024

Welcome to Glorious Tuga - Francesca Segal

Oh. my gosh. I turned the first few pages of Welcome to Glorious Tuga - and I knew I wouldn't be able to put Francesca Segal's book down until I turned the last page!

Why you ask? Well the wonderfully imagined setting was somewhere I wanted to be. A very, very small island that's more than a bit of a paradise.

There's a large group of characters and there is list of their names and connections at the front of the book, but I found that I really didn't need to refer to it. The characters are just as richly described as the setting. I easily picked up on who was who. People do come and leave, and everyone has a place and job on the island. Charlotte is one of those coming in - she'll be studying the gold coin tortoises in the jungle. 

And the plotting? Excellent! As readers, we're privy to everyone's inner thoughts and actions. And we're unable to point them in the right direction. (Or what we think is right). Segal also gives us a yes, no, maybe so romantic subplot.

What's also wonderful is the caring on the island. Everyone knows your business, but for the most part, that's not a bad thing. I hated to leave Tuga - I wanted to sit in the sun and watch the waves roll in. 

No comments: