Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Close to Death - Anthony Horowitz

Anthony Horowitz is one of my favorite authors. I've been eagerly waiting for the fifth entry his Hawthorne and Horowitz series. It's here - Close to Death

I can't recommend this series enough. It's clever in so many ways. The protagonist is the enigmatic Hawthorne, let go from the police force and now working as a P.I. Hawthorne is such a great character - a brilliant detective, but somewhat lacking in personal skills. I quite like him. And playing Watson to his Holmes? Anthony Horowitz. Uh huh - Horowitz has written himself in as a character in the series! He plays himself, writing about Hawthorne's cases. The relationship between the two is quite interesting...

In this latest, the publisher is after a new book in a short time. Hawthorne currently has no case on the go. Well, not anything he's going to share with Horowitz. So....a past case is going to be used. But its already been solved, so Horowitz have to use the case notes that Hawthorn provides. But (yes there is another But) - Horowitz can't help himself. He decides to track down and interview anyone that was involved - after Hawthorne warns him not to.

What's so great about this series you ask? An actual author playing a character in his series. I just think what the writing process would entail. The enigmatic Hawthorne. With each entry, we learn more about him. I hope we've not heard the last of this pair. The clues and the case. Horowitz is so very, very clever. As I read, I try to keep a lookout for anomalies, lies, seemingly innocuous comments and actions and more. And I'm quite happy to say that I've not solved one yet! I really appreciate Horowitz's intricate and devious plotting. 

I highly recommend this series!  Fingers crossed for number six! See for yourself - read an excerpt of Close to Death

No comments: