Thursday, February 8, 2024

The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder - C. L. Miller

The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder is C.L. Miller's wonderful debut novel.

The cover immediately caught my eye. It promised a great read - and it delivered. I've become addicted to cozy murder tales lately. 

I liked that Miller introduced the book herself. I'm always curious about how a plot is devised. Miller has lots of background herself in the antique world and that adds a great deal to the book.

What is the plot you ask? From the publisher "...a former antique hunter investigates a suspicious death at an isolated English manor, embroiling her back in the dangerous world of tracking stolen artifacts." 

Ahh, an isolated manor in England? Perfect setting of course. A wealth of characters to choose from for the 'culprit'. Check. (And I admit, I had picked wrongly for final reveal! Freya is a lead character you'll quite like. Her personal life is tied to the past - will she take her life back? Her Aunt Carole is a great choice for the supporting role. Her acting skills and personality are fun. 

The premise is a good one, the setting is perfect for this tale, it's a wonderful debut and I would be quite happy to see Freya again! Or another book from Miller.

See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I had not heard about this one, Luanne. Sounds good. I will admit that I do have times when I read more 'cozy-ish' books and then don't for a while. However, I have been a bit tired of some the tropes that are repeating in the thriller-type books that I more often pick. Will watch for this one.

Luanne said...

It was seeing the cover in a publishers' that caught my eye. And the need for a cosy listen. I was glad I listened. I hear you about the tropes. I'm done with friends on an island....