Thursday, February 1, 2024

Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect - Benjamin Stevenson

You might be thinking that the title of Benjamin Stevenson's new novel - Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect - is somewhat familiar. And you'd be right. Stevenson's last book was Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone, featuring Ernest Cunningham. He's the lead character from that first book. If you've not read that first book (And why not!?) I'm not going to spoil it for you. 

Ernest has penned a book about what went down. But he's still surprised to find that he's on a train with six other authors for the Australian Mystery Writers Society festival. And I'm sure you can guess what happens next...

I love how the book is presented. Ern speaks to the reader in the opening prologue,  setting things up, and giving out clues as to how the book will unfold - and why. Will you remember those clues as the plot unfolds? I love 'locked room' plots and this is an excellent one! Ernest checks up on the reader as the book progresses.

Stevenson is a clever, clever writer. I laughed out loud more than once as I read. And the final aha moment? Stevenson kept me guessing all the way. Didn't see that coming at all. 

4 comments:

Kay said...

I have this one on my list already and own the previous book. Now to get them read. Love the fact that it made you laugh. Can't have too much of that, right? Have a good weekend, Luanne!

Mystica said...

I’m interested. Thanks for the review

Luanne said...

I hope you get a chance to read it Mystica - and maybe the first one as well!

Luanne said...

Hi Kay - I really enjoyed the first one and was thrilled to see a follow-up. I hope you enjoy as well Kay! Cheers.