Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The Bone Hacker - Kathy Reichs

The Bone Hacker is Kathy Reichs' long running Temperance Brennan series. 

For those who haven't listened to this series yet, Tempe is a forensic anthropologist who works with both American and Canadian labs, cases and police forces. 

The Bone Hacker finds Tempe examining the remains of a person who has been killed by a lightning strike. Or have they? Her findings may be a link to other cases on the islands of Turks and Caicos.

I have always liked Tempe as a lead character. She's intelligent, tenacious and doesn't back down. Her inner dialogue gives the reader a better sense of 'knowing' her. And it's quite funny at times.

The solving of the cases always fascinates me. In addition to the forensics clues, Tempe's intuitions, skill sets and determination are put to good use.

Taking the setting to a new location also gives us some new supporting players. Two Turks and Caicos police added a lot to this tale.

The case itself is different and led to some answers I hadn't expected when the book started. (And you'll find out where the title comes in!)

The Bone Hacker kept me engrossed from the first chapter to the last. Another great entry in the series, and I'm looking forward to the 23rd. 

The reader for the audiobook was Linda Emond and she was fantastic. She has a very versatile voice. Her voice has movement, rising and falling as she narrates. Emond's voice was perfect and will, for me, always be the voice of Tempe. The voices for the new supporting characters were believable and easily identified. When there's talking, it's easy to believe there are two people speaking. I found by listening to this one, I took in more. I heard the humor in Reich's writing. Yes, there are lots of funny lines in such a 'deadly' book. Her voice is pleasant to listen to and easy to understand. And as I always say, I feel more drawn in to a tale when I listen. See for yourself - listen to an excerpt of The Bone Hacker.

No comments: