Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Zero Days - Ruth Ware

Oh, I've been waiting for Ruth Ware's new book! Zero Days is here. 

This latest is another edge of your seat listen! Ware plays with the reader's perceptions in the first chapter. I was quite certain I knew what was going to happen. And, nope - I was (happily) wrong.

Jack is our protagonist. I quite liked her, her thinking and her tenacity. She's been accused of an unthinkable crime and is determined to clear her name, and find the actual perpetrator. So, she goes rogue and her unusual skill set is put into play. I was fascinated by this bit - how she gets in and out of places, procures information, convinces people to believe in a bit of chicanery. I wondered how much of this part is true? And because I was enjoying the book so much, I decided to just go with it.

Almost every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, there's twists and the suspense just doesn't let up. (Love it!) Which makes for some addictive page turning! I had guessed the whodunit before the final reveal, but it's the journey there that so much fun to listen to. 

I chose to listen to Zero Days. The reader was Imogen Church, a narrator I've enjoyed before. She has a rich full voice that is very, very expressive. She can convey much within even a single word. She's easy to understand and speaks clearly. The emotions, the danger and the suspense are easily portrayed. Church has interpreted and presented Ruth Ware's book, very, very well. (I chose to listen at 1.1 speed)

Hear for yourself - listen to an excerpt of Zero Days.  13 hours and 57 minutes

I can see Zero Days as a movie and indeed, it will be one! Universal International Studios has acquired the rights. 

No comments: